a trip down job lane: part II

22 June, 2010 at 11:15 PM
"where do you see yourself in 10 years' time?" orangey asks me. we all laugh ^^

funny for our context (she was interrogating me about girls) but a question that rings so true. we speak of ambition, and as far as i can discern, my ambitions are a few sizes to big for my boots. but i don't want to dwell on what should be; that would be jumping the gun. instead, let me talk about what is.

2009 was my graduation year. 2 days after graduation was held, i was already overseas on other commitments. miraculously, i managed to secure a job with an old acquaintance, a dutch physiotherapist with whom i'd performed a significant amount of placement in previous years. despite the lengthy gap between my interview and my available time (almost 3 months) she decided to accept me. Not the best job in the world in terms of specifications, hours, pay, etc., but it was 5 minutes down the road from me, a wealth of familiar faces and, dareisay, a decent environment to start working.

strike rate for job application was 50% (applied two jobs, was accepted for one)

in march 2010, one month after commencing work with the dutch physiotherapist, i was offered a contract position with a doctors' practice, far to the south of brisbane. i didn't realy like what the job entailled, and the position was even less attractive but the margins seemed quite high and it seemed to be invaluable in giving me the experience to eventually set up my own clinic. walked in, had the interview, and after fumbling with papers for over a month (their fault, not mine) i was in. still am in, in fact. but looking to wrap this one up, soon.

two more job offers came along, one of which which was rather out of the blue. just last month i was approached by a friend and advised that a space had opened up at his work. i was encouraged to apply. without thinking too much on it, i did apply, and before i could even think of the consequences of what i did (remember i am holding two jobs at this point, yeah?) i was having a phone interview. oops! Even more dismaying was that this job.. price, time, education, personality-wise, seemed to be exactly everything i was after. and more! the agongy of refusing the job! but i had to. however silly i get, i will not make the mistake of biting off more than i can chew, again.

one final offer that is current as of today is a physio instructor position opening up in central brisbane. the clinic takes alot of athletes, dancers, and other people in their prime as well as the regular gamut of DVA, post-hospital, and etc. i got name-dropped the australian athletes/teams that go to this studio and needless to say my mouth DROPPED. impressive! the place is upbeat, staffed by youngish people, and funky. i really like it! this is my prospective replacement when i wrap up the contract physiotherapy.

in terms of meeting my working criteria, i'm currently lagging behind what i anticipated. my earnings goal by the end of the year is 75K/year while doing no more than 50 hours per week, or 65K/year with 10K professional development. i need the money to fund my further job(s diversification)!

so, the good... no, the GREAT thing about my life is the immense amount of job security. employment has never been hard, merely umm, tedious? haha. but the bad thing is, i'm not meeting my targets.

perhaps... perhaps it's time to upgrade job lane to job street =)

0 comments

VirtuaLife | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com