Homestay Exodus - 28.11.09

28 November, 2009 at 10:37 PM
1.5 years, gone in the blink of an eye. How time flies. =P

It only seemed like a few weeks ago that Ruby shuffled through the front door in her Mitchelton uniform. And it’s only been a few days since she left back for China, but the house seems quieter, more empty, less... real. Doesn’t matter that Dan and Dot are now living here too, it just lacks that... kick.

I’ve never considered myself to be a good homestay brother. I tend to stay away from the homestay girls, on the premise that we have different interests, we’re not 'truly' related and we’re from opposite genders – yeah that’s right, I don’t want to entertain any hanky panky. I do remember after reflecting on the nightmare that was Akina – that is to say, I was her nightmare homestay sibling =( - that I promised myself I would be a better homestay brother.

So did anything change for Ruby?

Not much, unfortunately. I was friendly, in a distant kind of way. I invited her out to events, but I never pushed her. I offered advice, shared some jokes, gave reprimands on certain things, but I never really got involved. And, as the realisation dawned on me that she’d be packing up her bags soon, I was sick with guilt. Another missed opportunity. I had to do something. I did the only thing that means anything to me. I gave her my time.

For the five days following her graduation, I spent roughly 40 hours knocking up a videologue of her and her friends as they received their certificates and danced with coursemates they would probably never see again. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so compelled to offer myself as I did for this video. By way of comparison, Becky’s video was an exercise in discipline. Heartfelt, sure, but I didn’t have 10GB+ of media to filter, alter and apply FX to.

I struggle to place what exactly Ruby means to me, which probably isn’t helped by the fact that I’ve never really talked too in-depth with her. I respect her for her determination, her single-mindedness, and her dreams, and I am proud of her for striving to set a standard higher than she can comfortably achieve. I can find affection for her little oddities, such as not eating dinner and using the hoola-hoop –with-bells-attached in her room to try and slim down. I’m saddened by her staunch adherence to Chinese custom, for without it I really believe she can soar to much greater heights. I’m worried about her detachment to the rest of her friends, a path I’ve trod along far too often to know the havoc it can bring to a person’s life, especially females. But I guess if there is one thing I do admit to myself, it to affirm that yes, I do care for her. More than I’ve admitted to myself for the last 18 months.

I hope she keeps in contact. I really want to see how she grows, and changes. She is rosebud right now, just waiting to bloom. Waiting for someone to water her. Waiting, watching, too shy to ask and too stubborn to try. Soon, Ruby; your time will be soon =).

But in the meantime, I have some questions to ask myself. How do I want to behave for the next homestay?

Sigh...

0 comments

VirtuaLife | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com